YouthCO is a youth led HIV and Hep C organization that seeks to reduce stigma related to HIV and Hep C throughout what is now called BC. We offers peer education and support by connecting with youth under 30, in-person and online. Informed by our values, the work we do at YouthCO is anti-oppressive, innovative, sex-positive and youth-driven!
Yúusnewas is a program by and for Indigenous youth ages 14 to 29 years old. While YouthCO's office is located on the traditional and unceded territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm, Sḵwx̱wú7mesh and səl̓ilwətaɁɬ təməxʷ nations, we work with youth throughout the land that is colonially known as British Columbia. Our goals are to connect Indigenous youth to culture, destigmatize HIV and Hep C, and support each other in making informed decisions about harm reduction and sexual health.
What will I do as part of Core Group?
With training and support from the Yúusnewas Staff, Core Group volunteers will have the opportunity to come up with creative ways to share information about HIV and Hep C with Indigenous youth, including:
- planning, promoting and co-facilitating events (online or in the community where you live!),
- making social media posts,
- connecting with Elders,
- creating and sending care packages!
Each Core Group member will get to work with Yúusnewas staff to choose what projects we want to be part of!
What will I get from YouthCO?
- An honorarium of $200 will be provided to volunteers, distributed in $50 amounts monthly between September 2020 and December 2020. Full participation at our training and volunteer meetings is the minimum requirement for receiving an honorarium.
- We will welcome you to Core Group, and throughout these months, we’ll provide ongoing training and peer mentorship to support your event planning, peer support, facilitation and outreach skills. Volunteers will also deepen knowledge of sexual health, harm reduction, and strategies for resisting stigma in our communities.
- As part of our commitment to appreciating the work of our volunteers, we host a volunteer appreciation celebration twice a year, where all volunteers will be entered in a draw to win prizes!
What is expected of me?
- Complete YouthCO Core Training online (if we haven't already!)
- Saturday, September 26, 1-5:30pm
- Sunday, September 27, 1-5:30pm
- Attend all monthly volunteer meetings, taking place online on Tuesdays from 6:30-9pm:
- October 6
- October 26
- November 17
- December 8
We are looking for young people who:
- Between the ages of 16 and 29
- Living in British Columbia (full-time or part-time!)
- Able to attend Core Group meetings
- Committed to learning about and challenging HIV and Hep C stigma with Core Group
- Available to commit to our Core Group volunteer expectations listed above
At this point, most Core Group activities will be taking place online, using our virtual meeting platform - Zoom. To participate, we will need access to a device connected to the internet with display, sound and mic capabilities like a laptop, desktop with headphones or a smartphone. YouthCO may be able to help us borrow or access a device, and/or internet to support our participation in this program. Please let us know in the form if this is something you need.
We are happy to have a conversation about how we can make Core Group more accessible. If there are ways we can help make Core Group more accessible for your specific needs, please let us know in the form or by emailing Sarah at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How To Join Us
If you are interested joining Core Group, please complete this short form letting us know your availability and why you are interested in this opportunity by September 6 at 10:00PM. We will follow up with you on your application by September 10!
If you have any questions about the role or about Yúusnewas, you can connect with us by phone (1-855-968-8426), email email@example.com or connect with us on our social media platforms.