Ready to be part of Core Group? Answer these quick questions: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ycoppcg.
Want to know more about Core Group? Keep reading below!
YouthCO is a youth led HIV and Hep C organization that seeks to reduce stigma related to HIV and Hep C throughout what is now called BC. We offers peer education and support by connecting with youth under 30, in-person and online. Informed by our values, the work we do at YouthCO is anti-oppressive, innovative, sex-positive and youth-driven!
Positive Programs is a dedicated space for youth living with HIV and/or Hep C. Everyone who is a part if this program shares the experience of living with HIV and/ or Hep C as a youth. These programs are free. While we do not need to disclose our status to the group to participate, in order to maintain confidentiality, YouthCO staff will work with us to privately confirm our HIV and/ or Hep C status before joining group programming. Youth living with HIV and Hep C are also welcome to be part of YouthCO’s other programs, including Yúusnewas and Mpowerment.
What will I do as part of Core Group?
With training and support from the Positive Program Coordinator, Core Group volunteers will have the opportunity to be involved in:
- planning, promoting and co-facilitating events,
- creating informational resources for youth living with HIV and/or Hep C, and
- speaking about our experiences as young people living with HIV and/or Hep C to small groups, including health care providers, students, and educators!
We are not required to disclose our HIV and/or Hep C status publicly to participate in Core Group. There may be sometimes where there are specific opportunities for Core Group members who feel comfortable disclosing our status.
What will I get from YouthCO?
- An honorarium of $200 will be provided to volunteers, distributed in $50 amounts monthly between September 2020 and December 2020. Full participation at our training and volunteer meetings is the minimum requirement for receiving an honorarium.
- We will welcome you to Core Group, and throughout these months, we’ll provide ongoing training and peer mentorship to support your event planning, peer support, facilitation and outreach skills. Volunteers will also deepen knowledge of sexual health, harm reduction, and strategies for resisting stigma in our communities.
- As part of our commitment to appreciating the work of our volunteers, we host a volunteer appreciation celebration twice a year, where all volunteers will be entered in a draw to win prizes!
What is expected of me?
- Complete YouthCO Core Training (if we haven't already!)
- September 12th Saturday | 9:30AM – 5:00PM | Downtown Vancouver
- September 13th Sunday | 9:30AM – 5:00PM | Downtown Vancouver
- COVID-19 precautions, including masks and physical distancing, will be in place. Any costs will be covered by YouthCO.
- Complete our volunteer orientation:
- September 10th | 6:30PM – 8:00PM | Online Zoom
- Attend all monthly volunteer meetings:
- October 15th Thursday | 6:30PM – 9:00PM | Online Zoom
- November 19th Thursday | 6:30PM – 9:00PM| Online Zoom
- December 10th Thursday | 6:30PM – 9:00PM| Online Zoom
We are looking for young people who:
- Are currently living with Hep C or HIV, or who have received Hep C treatment
- Between the ages of 16 and 29
- Currently living in what is now called BC
- Able to attend Core Group meetings and participate in Positive Programs
- Committed to putting YouthCO’s values and approaches into practice
- Available to commit to our Core Group volunteer expectations listed above
At this point, most Core Group activities will be taking place online, using our virtual meeting platform - Zoom. To participate, we will need access to a device connected to the internet with display, sound and mic capabilities like a laptop, desktop with headphones or a smartphone. YouthCO may be able to help us borrow or access a device, and/or internet to support our participation in this program. Please let us know in the form if this is something you need.
We are happy to have a conversation about how we can make Core Group more accessible. If there are ways we can help make Core Group more accessible for your specific needs, please let us know in the form or by emailing Sarah at [email protected]
Want to be part of Core Group?
If you are interested joining Positive Programs Core Group, please complete this short form letting us know your availability and why you are interested in this opportunity by August 30th at 10:00PM. We will follow up with you on your application by September 3th 2020, at 5:00PM.
If you have any questions about the role or about Positive Programs, you can connect with us by phone (1-855-968-8426), email [email protected] or connect with us on our social media platforms.