When: March 12, 2022 at 7:00am - March 13, 2022
Contact: Jessica Vielle · · 7789885914
We are so excited to be hosting IN-PERSON winter camp, March 12th & 13th, at Evans Lake! This is a free program for youth from ages 6 to 17 years old who are living with, or impacted by HIV, in British Columbia!! We hope to see many familiar faces and welcome new folks over the weekend.
We’ll be spending the weekend at Evans Lake in Squamish, BC. During the weekend, we are planning to pack in as much fun as possible!! Campers will have choices around different indoor and outdoor activities throughout the weekend and lots of "friends together having fun!" To make this come to life, we have community agreements in place that everyone at camp, including staff and volunteers, follow. Click here to check them out!
Summer Dates are confirmed! Mark your calendars for July 17-22, 2022!
Camper registrations are due on Monday, January 31, 2022! This will help us ensure we can put together a strong volunteer team. Please let us know on or before January 31st if you would like to come to Camp Moomba!
RETURNING CAMPERS: complete this one page permission form, and give Jessica a call (778-988-5914) a call to ensure all health and emergency information is up-to-date!
NEW CAMPERS: complete this registration form (give us a call if you'd like some help!) and return it to the office by January 31st, 2022.
We have community agreements in place that everyone at camp, including staff and volunteers, follow. Click here to check them out!
To contact a camper during camp, please call 778-988-5914.
We believe that youth are best positioned to connect with our peers on topics related to HIV stigma. Many of the youth at Camp Moomba are Black or Indigenous, and we strongly encourage applications from Black and Indigenous youth, as well as youth living with HIV, or youth who are impacted by HIV. We strongly encourage youth who are under the age of 25, living with HIV or Hep C, Black, Indigenous, People of Colour, Two-Spirit, queer, trans, non-binary, and/or living with disabilities to apply.
Camp Moomba volunteers are people who are connected to the Camp Moomba or YouthCO, through shared experiences or our Core Training program, and are excited to work with youth from ages 6 to 17! All volunteers must complete a criminal record check at YouthCO's expense.
Volunteers must also be available for training on February 24 (5:30-8:00PM!), committed to a weekend with very little cell coverage and no WIFI, and a phone-free space for campers, and are able to follow our community agreements. Click here to check them out!
At camp, most of our volunteers are Group Leaders, who do the following:
- Actively participate in camp life and camp activities – early mornings, chilly swims, and clean up included!
- Attend to campers’ wellbeing needs in ability-appropriate ways to ensure campers’ physical, emotional, social, medical, and nutritional needs are being met:
- Supporting campers in getting adequate nutrition and sleep (e.g., facilitating bedtime and meal time at appropriate energy levels)
- Support positive camper group dynamics to ensure a positive experience for all campers
- Using active supervision to create a fun and safe environment, including role modelling, and encouraging positive relationships, and addressing concerning behaviours such as bullying
- Manage camper behaviour, including role modelling camp appropriate behaviour and addressing concerns with the Camp Director(s)
- Assist with camp-wide programming
- Provide leadership and role modeling to all staff and campers
- Attend and participate(d) in Camp Moomba trainings, including YouthCO Core Training (if not already completed) and Camp Moomba training (February 24, 2022)
If you are interested in coming to Camp Moomba as a nurse, check out the position description here, and please complete our application form!
Do you have questions about the upcoming program, or becoming a volunteer? Contact Jessica and Furqan at [email protected], or call 778-988-5914.