MPOWERMENT YVR VOLUNTEER CORE GROUP
YouthCO is a youth led HIV and Hep C organization that seeks to reduce stigma related to HIV and Hep C throughout BC through peer support, education, and meaningful community engagement.
Informed by our values, the work we do at YouthCO is anti-oppressive, innovative, sex-positive and youth-driven!
THE MPOWERMENT YVR PROGRAM
Mpowerment YVR is a program by and for queer and trans young people ages 19 to 29 years old in and around Vancouver to meet, have fun and support each other in making informed decisions about our sexual health!
We are committed to reducing stigma related to HIV and to building communities where we feel safe talking about the highs and lows of sex, drugs, relationships and all the things that bring us pleasure.
Supported by the Mpowerment YVR Program Coordinator, Core Group volunteers will have the opportunity to be involved in planning, promoting and co-facilitating Mpowerment events including socials, workshops, outreach events and discussion nights.
Socials include movie nights, beach picnics, board games, dinner nights, bowling, karaoke, nature walks, art nights, parties and much more!
Workshops and discussion nights explore a range of topics including relationships, hooking up, dating, gender expression, and stigma, STIs, coming out, pleasure, harm reduction, self-care, and consent.
Outreach events include the annual Pride season, visiting high schools, colleges, and universities, or handing out posters and supplies at local queer events, bars and drop-in centers.
CORE GROUP BENEFITS & HONORARIUM
- An honorarium of $300 will be provided to volunteers, distributed in $50 amounts monthly between January 2020 and July 2020. Full participation at our training and volunteer meetings is the minimum requirement for receiving an honorarium.
- Through our comprehensive orientation, ongoing training and peer mentorship, Core Group volunteers will build event planning, peer support, facilitation and outreach skills. Volunteers will also deepen knowledge of sexual health, anti-oppression and strategies for resisting stigma in our communities.
- As part of our commitment to appreciating the work of our volunteers, we host a volunteer appreciation celebration twice a year, where all volunteers will be entered in a draw to win prizes!
CORE GROUP VOLUNTEER EXPECTATIONS
- Complete our volunteer orientation and training weekend:
- January 17th Friday| 6:30PM – 9:00PM | Downtown Vancouver
- January 18th Saturday | 9:30AM – 5:00PM | Downtown Vancouver
- January 19th Sunday | 9:30AM – 5:00PM | Downtown Vancouver
- Attend all monthly volunteer meetings:
- February 12th Wednesday | 6:30PM – 9:00PM | Downtown Vancouver
- March 11th Wednesday | 6:30PM – 9:00PM| Downtown Vancouver
- April 8th Wednesday | 6:30PM – 9:00PM| Downtown Vancouver
- May 13th Wednesday | 6:30PM – 9:00PM| Downtown Vancouver
- June 10th Wednesday | 6:30PM – 9:00PM| Downtown Vancouver
- Commit to volunteering at three events between January 2020 and July 2020. This may include event setup, talking with peers about our programs at an outreach event or co-facilitating an activity, discussion or workshop. Events typically take place on Wednesday evenings between 6:00PM and 9:00PM in Downtown Vancouver, and sometimes on weekends.
WE ARE LOOKING FOR YOUNG PEOPLE WHO ARE…
- Gay, bi, queer, trans, non-binary or Two-Spirit
- Between the ages of 19 and 29
- Living in or around Vancouver
- Able to attend Core Group meetings and Mpowerment events
- Committed to putting YouthCO’s values and approaches into practice
- Available to commit to our Core Group volunteer expectations listed above
HOW TO JOIN US
If you are interested joining our Mpowerment YVR Core Group, please complete this short form letting us know your availability and why you are interested in this opportunity by December 30th at 10:00PM.
We will follow up with you on your application by January 7th 2020 at 5:00PM
If you have any questions about the role or about Mpowerment, you can connect with us by phone (604-688-1441), email [email protected] or come chat with us in person at our office Downtown on the second floor at 568 Seymour Street, Vancouver.