Black Lives Matter: Taking Action
July 11, 2020
A full transcript of this video is available below.
Support & Resources for Black folks:
- Vancouver Black Therapy & Advocacy Foundation has a list of free and paid mental health and holistic resources we can access.
- Afro-Canadian Positive Network is a Black-led organization that does incredible work to provide direct support to Afro-Canadians, including newcomers, impacted by HIV. This volunteer-led organization provides important services to people experiencing anti-Black racism, xenophobia, and the related HIV stigma, poverty, and over-policing throughout Surrey, the Lower Mainland and BC. Afro-Canadian Positive Network is a key partner in supporting Camp Moomba families year round, and is led by wonderful volunteers whose labour should be paid.
- Vancouver Black Therapy & Advocacy Foundation connects Black community members to mental health resources such as free therapy and advocacy services.
- BC Community Alliance is a community based organization dedicated to combating the structural inequities created by anti-black racism.
- Black Lives Matter Vancouver is working against police brutality and anti-blackness and uplifting Black voices.
- Hogan’s Alley Society advocates for Black Vancouverites who have endured the legacies of urban renewal and their erasure from the official historical narrative. (As described on the Hogan's Alley Society website.)
- Read Black Lives Matter Vancouver's calls to dismantle systems of violence and oppression
- Stratagem is an online conference and digital resource hub hosted by Cicely Blain Consulting. In a time of social distancing, Stratagem Virtual uses timely and meaningful diversity and inclusion content to build community connection from a distance and is taking place in July 2020.
- Rachel Cargle is a Black public academic, writer, and lecturer who offers anti-racist education through public workshops, Instagram, and The Great Unlearn.
Ask for action on Black Lives Matter Vancouver's calls to dismantle systems of violence and oppression
2020 Vancouver Police Department Budget - Call For Action - DEFUND NOW
Contact our politicians in the provincial and federal governments to ask for action to address anti-Black racism in our schools, police forces, health services, and beyond.
Hogan's Alley Society Call to Action
It's Time for Action on Anti-Black Racism in Schools
Petition seeking Justice for Regis Korchinski-Paquet
Make Black history part of BC's curriculum
Read YouthCO's Letters
....and consider writing our own! Feel free to use these letters as templates for our own!
Letter to the Vancouver School Board
Letter to the Vancouver Police Department
Letter to the City of Vancouver
Black Lives Matter
We grieve Breonna Taylor, Regis Korchinski-Paquet, Tony McDade, George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, and Chevranna Abdi.
We grieve the many more Black people who have died, including those whose names we will never know.
Each name represents a preventable death of a Black person, within and beyond our colonial borders.
At YouthCO, we believe Black Lives Matter.
We affirm Black youth in our communities who are resisting, who are grieving, who are raging, who are organizing, who are resting, and who are afraid that they will be next. We uphold Black joy, innovation and resilience.
We are all coming to this moment with different needs, whether we are Black folks seeking supports and community, or we are non-Black and are looking to build our practice of anti-racism. Here are some ways to start:
Support & Resources for Black folks
The Vancouver Black Therapy Fund website has a variety of free and paid mental health and holistic resources we can access. This list includes nonprofit organizations, Instagram accounts, and counselling practices.
Stratagem: Hosted by Cicely Blain, Stratagem Virtual is an online conference and digital resource hub for diversity and inclusion engagement. In a time of social distancing, Stratagem Virtual uses timely and meaningful diversity and inclusion content to build community connection from a distance.
Sign petitions like JUSTICE FOR REGIS KORCHINSKI-PAQUET at change.org.
Reduce budget for policing in our communities at youthco.org/blm_act.
Donate to the following organizations and if we’re not able to do that; we should share donation posts and links!
To donate towards a Black-led organization doing work in HIV, connect with Afro-Canadian Positive Network of BC. This is an amazing Black-led, volunteer-driven organization that provides direct support to Black folk living with HIV.
There are also many other organizations we can support with a donation: Black Lives Matter Vancouver, Hogan's Alley Society, and the BC Community Alliance.
Black Lives Matter