When: September 20, 2018 at 6:30pm - 8:30pm
YouthCO Mainspace; 568 Seymour St., 2nd Floor & Online via Zoom
Vancouver, BC V6B3J5
Google map and directions
Contact: Sarah Chown · 604-688-1441
YouthCO's AGM is taking place on the unceded traditional and ancestral Coast Salish territories of the hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓-speaking xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam) and səl̓ilwətaɁɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations, the Sḵwx̱wú7mesh Sníchim-speaking Sḵwx̱wú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish Nation). These lands have been taken through ongoing colonial violence, which is directly connected to how Indigenous communities experience HIV and Hep C today.
Annual General Meetings are a part of the way all societies in BC operate. The Societies Act requires YouthCO (and all societies) to host an AGM to connect with our members, share information about our audit process and financial position, and elect Board members to steward our organization for the year. Our in-person AGM also includes the opportunity to meet other youth leaders and enjoy snacks /a light dinner! We will also be using Zoom so people can participate online. If you plan to vote via Zoom, you will need to let us know at least one week beforehand (September 13) so we can ensure that technology is set up.
YouthCO members (people who have completed Core Training, are not staff members, and who are under the age of 30 at the time of the AGM) are eligible to vote in the AGM, including voting for our Board of Directors. During the AGM, we will review our work over the past year, elect new Board members, and hear about the ongoing strategic planning process. Come on by, listen to what we've been up to over the past year, meet YouthCO's Board and Executive Director, and enjoy some snacks in great company.
We'd really love it if you let us know if you are coming by RSVPing below! Doing so will mean that you will receive the materials (like our financial statement) for the meeting by email in advance. We will also have copies of these documents on hand on September 20.
If your needs to access this event are not mentioned above, please contact Sarah at [email protected] for more information.
Board of Directors Elections
At YouthCO, the Board of Directors manages YouthCO's Executive Director, sets the strategic direction of the organization, and supports governance functions like financial stewardship, external advocacy, policy development and fundraising.
Elections take place by acclamation or by ballot.
- Directors are elected for a two year term that ends on the completion of the second AGM. The term of directors elected in 2018 will end with the AGM in 2020.
- People aged 18 to 29 years old at the time of the AGM are eligible for election. Directors who will turn 30 within their two year term may be appointed to the Board and may complete their term.
- Two director positions are reserved for youth living with HIV and/or Hep C. If no director shares that they are living with HIV and/or Hep C, two positions will be held vacant.
- Two director positions are reserved for youth aged 18, 19, 20, or 21. If no Board member is within this age range, two positions will be held vacant.
- The maximum number of directors is 12.
- No director can be remunerated for being or acting as a director.
YouthCO's full constitution and bylaws can be viewed at this link.
If you're interested in being part of YouthCO's Board of Directors and:
- have already completed Core Training, or are available for Core Training on September 15 & 16,
- are available for Board training and planning on October 14,
- are excited to talk about YouthCO in your networks online and in person,
- and are willing to complete a free, confidential criminal record check
please get in touch with us at [email protected]!