MPOWERMENT FRASER WEST CORE GROUP
YouthCO is a youth led HIV and Hep C organization that seeks to reduce stigma related to HIV and Hep C throughout BC through peer support, education, and meaningful community engagement.
Informed by our values, the work we do at YouthCO is anti-oppressive, innovative, sex-positive and youth-driven!
THE MPOWERMENT FRASER WEST PROGRAM
Mpowerment Fraser is a space for queer and trans young people ages 19 to 29 years old to meet, have fun and support each other in making informed decisions about our sexual health!
We host events in Burnaby, New West, Surrey, & surrounding areas!
We are committed to reducing stigma related to HIV and to building communities where we feel safe talking about the highs and lows of sex, drugs, relationships and all the things that bring us pleasure.
CORE GROUP VOLUNTEER ROLE
Core Group volunteers are a key part of the way Mpowerment works, and we are so excited to be recruiting volunteers to this group for the first time in Fraser West! Our vision is for this group to be the heart of the program, the way it has been in other Mpowerment locations. Supported by the Mpowerment Fraser West Program Coordinator, Core Group volunteers will have the opportunity to be involved in planning, promoting and co-facilitating Mpowerment events including socials, workshops, outreach events and discussion nights.
Socials include movie nights, picnics in the park, board games, dinner nights, bowling, karaoke, VR nights, nature walks, art gallery visits, parties and much more!
Workshops and discussion nights explore a range of topics including relationships, hooking up, dating, gender expression, stigma, STIs, coming out, pleasure, harm reduction, self-care, and consent.
Outreach events include the annual Pride season, visiting high schools, colleges, and universities, or handing out posters and supplies at local queer events, bars and drop-in centers.
CORE GROUP BENEFITS & HONORARIUM
- An honorarium of $300 will be provided to volunteers, distributed in $50 amounts monthly between October 2019 and March 2020. Full participation at our training and volunteer meetings is the minimum requirement for receiving an honorarium.
- Through our comprehensive orientation, ongoing training and peer mentorship, Core Group volunteers will build event planning, peer support, facilitation and outreach skills. Volunteers will also deepen knowledge of sexual health, anti-oppression and strategies for resisting stigma in our communities.
- As part of our commitment to appreciating the work of our volunteers, we host a volunteer appreciation party twice a year, where all volunteers will be entered in a draw to win prizes!
CORE GROUP VOLUNTEER EXPECTATIONS
- Complete our volunteer orientation and Core Training.
- October 17th Wednesday| 6:30PM – 9:00PM | Surrey City Centre Library
- January 18th Saturday | 9:30AM – 5:00PM | Downtown Vancouver
- January 19th Saturday | 9:30AM – 5:00PM | Downtown Vancouver
- Commit to volunteering at three events between October 2019 and March 2020.
- Attend all monthly volunteer meetings (hosted at sites across Fraser West).
- November 13th Wednesday | 6:30PM – 9:00PM | Location TBD
- December 11th Wednesday | 6:30PM – 9:00PM| Location TBD
- January 15th Wednesday | 6:30PM – 9:00PM| Location TBD
- February 12th Wednesday | 6:30PM – 9:00PM| Location TBD
- March 11th Wednesday | 6:30PM – 9:00PM| Location TBD
WE ARE LOOKING FOR YOUNG PEOPLE WHO ARE…
- Gay, bi, queer, trans, non-binary or Two-Spirit folks
- Between the ages of 19 and 29
- Living in or connected to the Fraser West region (Burnaby, New West, Surrey, Coquitlam, Langley)
- Able to attend Core Group meetings and Mpowerment events throughout the Fraser West region
- Committed to putting YouthCO’s values and approaches into practice
- Available to commit to our Core Group volunteer expectations listed above, including Core Training in downtown Vancouver
HOW TO JOIN US
If you are interested joining our first Mpowerment Fraser West Core Group, please complete this short form letting us know your availability and why you are interested in this opportunity by September 20th at 10:00PM.
We will follow up with you on your application by September 27th at 5:00PM.
If you have any questions about the role or about Mpowerment, you can connect with us by phone (604-688-1441), email email@example.com or we can arrange to meet up at a café near you!